Wednesday, May 28, 2014

3 Lessons in 3 Weeks

As I approach my month mark here in the Holy Land, I feel humbled by the eye-opening experiences I've had and the lessons I've been tenderly taught by providence. I have been shown the power of true leadership, the value of patience, and the power of motherhood, just to name a few. 

Last week, those of us working for the Ministry of Social Development met with the Secretary General and other directors of different programs we'd be working at. As our names and corresponding directors' were read, there was a sudden outburst from one of the men. Arabic began to be thrown loudly from one end of the table to the other and I sat stunned as the Secretary General and this ministry employee conversed in a language I haven't even begun to get a grasp of. After what felt like a small eternity, the SG turned to us and apologized. He explained that the director was frustrated because the intern he had been assigned didn't speak Arabic & he didn't understand what he was supposed to do with that. Basically, the SG shut him down in the most respectful way. He told us that he explained to this man that they, as employees of the ministry had the opportunity to learn from us, the interns. He spoke about having diplomas and doctorates and certificates, but the fact that none of the directors ever practice their English. He emphasized that this was the time to do that.
After that, the meeting continued and concluded with no incident. The Secretary General's actions however, impressed me long after we left. 

My idea of leadership has been changed in the greatest way. Leadership is not holding your accomplishments over someone's head as leverage. A true leader sees every interaction as an opportunity to learn, regardless of with whom he's interacting with. Anyone can belittle those who seem to know less, but it takes a special sort of power to be able to lower yourself to the level of those that may not have accomplished as much as you, yet. 

Jordan has helped me to see the parts of my character that are weak & ways to improve them. I am not a patient person. I like things to get done the moment they need to be done and I don't like to waste time. The Middle East values relationships more than time, which I'm beginning to understand. My first day working at Waqe3, we walked in around ten minutes to ten. I could feel my anxiety rising as we walked in; surely we'd get in trouble for being late. We were greeted with smiles and after introductions, we were asked to sit. We were brought tea and we conversed for another hour before we even headed back to our work space. I'm learning that 5 minutes sometimes means an hour, or maybe tomorrow, and that's okay. In the United States we've glorified being punctual, even early, regardless of whom we may need to step on to ensure we arrive on time. My rush and haste have no place here in Amman, and I'm grateful for the peace this change has brought to my soul. 

The original game plan was to work at an orphanage. As most of us know, however, man plans & God laughs. I didn't end up having a strong enough spirit to work at the orphanage. For a few days this left me feeling ashamed and depressed. I felt so inadequate & my heart broke that I had let everyone who expected great things from me, down. But I decided to see what I had learned from my experience, rather than allowing it to deprecate my self worth. When I was at the orphanage I realized more than ever the importance of motherhood. I reflected on my own relationship with my angel mother. We didn't have a perfect relationship, I don't think anyone does, but the beautiful reality is, she was there. She kicked me out, she yelled at me, and we fought. But she was there to kick me out, there to yell at me, and there to fight with me and I am so infinitely grateful to her for that. 

Mothers have the most important and powerful job in the world. Their work has been reduced to an almost shameful position, unfortunately. This has been the work of him that opposes good and light. The adversary understands the influence of mothers, and has as a result, attempted to diminish it to a laughable status. We cannot allow this cycle to continue. Mothers teach boys how to respect women. Mothers teach girls how to value their womanhood. Each of us can, and should, respect and honor the title of 'mother', as well as the angel women who possess it. Everyone can honor motherhood. Single women can by honoring the divine potential they have. Single men can, by reminding those women of their divinity when the world tries to get them to forget. Fathers, loving and respecting your wives is the greatest gift you can give your children. Children, take the time to see how truly fortunate you are to have a mother, not everyone does. 

Lead humbly, be patient, and love your mother. 



No comments:

Post a Comment